- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 pounds fresh okra, chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped fine
- 1 medium bell pepper, diced
- 1 medium tomato, diced
- 10 slices of fried bacon
- 1/2 cup bread crumbs (seasoned)
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Margarine (a few pats to put over crumbs)
- Parsley, optional, for garnishing
Preheat oven to 350F. Pour oil into skillet, enough to cover bottom. Add okra, chopped onion, diced bell pepper and diced tomato. Smother all ingredients and cook until well done and wilted. Break up 5 slices of bacon and mix in with okra in a greased casserole dish (can be sprayed with a nonstick spray) and pour in okra. Mix bread crumbs and grated cheese together. Spread this mixture over okra. Dab this with pats of margarine, then use remaining 5 slices of bacon to garnish the dish. Bake at 350F for approximately 20 to 25 minutes. When done, garnish with parsley sprigs.
Serves 8 to 10.