- 3/4 lb. black beans
- 1 1/2 qt. cold water
- 2 oz. salt pork (optional)
- 3/4 lb. hamhock or bone of smoke ham
- 1 lg. onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 2 green peppers, chopped
- 1/2 c. bacon drippings or olive oil
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tbsp. salt
- 1/8 tsp. oregano
- 1/4 c. vinegar
Wash beans. Soak overnight. Add salt pork, ham hock and simmer over low heat. Saute onions, garlic, green pepper in bacon drippings until tender. Add to beans. Season with bay leaves, salt and oregano. Simmer until beans are tender and thick, approximately 3 hours. Add vinegar just before serving. Serve over rice with finely chopped onion on top.
- 4 skinless, boneless chicken breasts
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 teaspoon butter
- 3/4 cup chicken broth
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh ginger
- 2 teaspoons Dijon-style mustard
- 2 teaspoons grainy mustard
- 4 scallions -- minced
- Salt and freshly ground pepper -- to taste
Dust chicken lightly with flour. Melt butter in nonstick fry pan and
saute chicken over medium-high heat until brown on both sides, about
2-3 minutes per side. Remove chicken and keep warm.
Pour broth into skillet, increase heat and deglaze skillet by boiling
and scraping loose browned bits on bottom of pan. Add ginger and
cook, stirring frequently, 2 minutes. Stir in mustards and scallions.
Season with salt and pepper. Spoon sauce over chicken.