- 1 cup tender, fresh snow peas, washed, lightly steamed or blanched
- 1 cup fresh bean sprouts
- 1 cup cooked chicken breast in 1 inch strips
- 15 or more pitted green olives, more to taste, chopped
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar or fresh lemon juice
- 6 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- (optional) 1 tsp mustard (classic French vinaigrette has this)
- (optional) 1 clove of garlic, peeled and minced fine
- (optional) 1 tsp fresh ginger, minced
salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 8 oz cooked linguine or pasta of your choice
Cook and drain pasta.
Lightly steam or blanche and refresh snowpeas (plunge briefly in boiling water the rinse immediately with cold water).
Cut the chicken breasts into bite sized pieces.
Make vinaigrette dressing: Measure 2 T vinegar into mixing bowl. Add optional mustard, minced garlic or ginger, salt and pepper and stir will. Add the 6 T olive oil and mix well again. (some do this in a mixing jar, make double or triple the quantity and keep the extra for other salads).
Combine the pasta and the rest of the ingredients in a large bowl and mix well. Add the vinaigrette and stir well again, taste for seasoning.
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1/2 cup amaranth
Combine water, the amaranth, and a pinch of salt in a small saucepan, bring to a boil, and then reduce the heat to a simmer. Cover and cook over low heat for 25 minutes or until the water is absorbed, about 15 minutes. Makes about 1 cups.
Variation with Mixed Tiny Grains: Mix teff, amaranth, and quinoa, the latter thoroughly rinsed, and cook as described.