- 6 oz penne pasta, uncooked vegetable cooking spray
- 4 oz Canadian bacon, chopped
- 3/4 cup chopped sweet red pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 (14-1/2 oz) can whole peeled tomatoes (no-salt)
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1/2 tsp dried basil
- 1/4 tsp freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 tsp all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup evaporated skimmed milk
Cook pasta according to package directions, omitting fat or salt, then drain and set aside.
Coat a large non-stick skillet with cooking spray and place over a medium-high heat until hot. Add the Canadian bacon and the next three ingredients, and saute until vegetables are tender.
Add tomato and the next four ingredients. Bring mixture to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 10 more minutes.
Add pasta, stirring well. Cook over medium heat 2 to 3 minutes or until thoroughly heated. Transfer mixture to a serving bowl.
Garnish with a basil sprig if desired.
Makes 4 servings.
- 1/4 cup butter or margarine
- 3 tablespoon flour
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 tablespoon onion juice
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon celery seed
- 1 2-ounce can mushrooms
- 3/4 cup liquid
- 18 medium boiled shrimp
- 1 1/2 pints medium oysters
- Parmesan cheese
To make sauce, melt butter and add flour, garlic, onion juice, Worcestershire sauce, celery seed and liquid. Add mushrooms and shrimp. Cook until thickened. Put oysters in saucepan and simmer just until edges curl. Drain. Put oysters on cleaned oyster shells. Cover each with sauce mixture. Sprinkle each with cheese. Place on tray covered with rock salt. Broil for about 5 minutes or until bubbly.