- One 3- to 3-1/2-pound chicken, cut into 8 pieces
- 6 cups water
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) tomato sauce
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 cups long- or whole-grain rice, rinsed
In a large pot, bring all the ingredients except the rice to a boil over medium-high heat.
Cover and allow to boil for 35 minutes.
Add the rice and cook for 25 to 30 minutes, or until the rice is tender, no pink remains in the chicken, and the chicken juices run clear.
- 1/4 cup butter or margarine
- 3 tablespoon flour
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 tablespoon onion juice
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon celery seed
- 1 2-ounce can mushrooms
- 3/4 cup liquid
- 18 medium boiled shrimp
- 1 1/2 pints medium oysters
- Parmesan cheese
To make sauce, melt butter and add flour, garlic, onion juice, Worcestershire sauce, celery seed and liquid. Add mushrooms and shrimp. Cook until thickened. Put oysters in saucepan and simmer just until edges curl. Drain. Put oysters on cleaned oyster shells. Cover each with sauce mixture. Sprinkle each with cheese. Place on tray covered with rock salt. Broil for about 5 minutes or until bubbly.